For many years, Pinehurst was a privately held resort under sole proprietorship of the Tufts family. In 1920, a corporate form of ownership was established when a charter for Pinehurst, Inc. was obtained. By the late 1960’s the shareholders of Pinehurst, Inc. decided to sell the resort property to Diamondhead Corporation. Over the next decade, Diamondhead created about 7,000 lots or units for sale with membership rights to the Pinehurst resort facilities. Infrastructure to support these lots (roads, water, sewer, etc.) was also constructed at this time. In 1980, pursuant to an Order of Incorporation, the Village of Pinehurst became an incorporated municipality. Since then, ownership of the resort property has changed hands several times and the world-renowned golf courses have been developed and expanded under each owner.
Pinehurst consists of nine 18-hole golf courses, each named simply by a number, and a 9-hole par-3 course. Pinehurst No. 2 has consistently been ranked as one of the top courses in North Carolina and among the best in the United States. In addition to the golf courses, Pinehurst has three hotels, as well as many villas, condos, restaurants, and other leisure facilities.
Write a message below
Prefer a call? Call us at (910) 315-9950